Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Prompting the Mind Gears

Early Evening Well Wishes Gears!

I'm well aware it's been a handful of days between this post and my last post. Even more discouraging, I'm also aware that there isn't stellar, interesting content between the two posts. Well, interesting for me but possibly not for you. 

Don't fret or lose sleep over it though! I'm currently hatching a diabolically compelling article that I haven't started writing yet so be prepared! In the meantime, I've gone and written a response to another writing prompt. 

This one won't get revised because frankly, it was way too fucking hard to fit the story I wanted into 500 words. I'm serious! I felt like I was shoving a brand new tent that I used over the weekend into the bag from which it came. You all know EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Fucking tent bags. 

Here's the story. Attack my tent bag writing all you want. Prompt I followed is after for those that are interested.

Marblewood Dream Home

The crisp evening air beckoned to be inhaled.  Stars twinkled brightly on the black sea above his head.  Jack could hear the occasional faint hum of a  car passing on the highway miles north of him, but otherwise it was only the sounds of nocturnal nature and bated breathing that broke the deep silence of the night.
The thick hair on his arms stood on end and a tingle brushed down his spine.  His long, generational wait was finally coming to an end. It was time. He licked his lips and a dark smile spread across his lips as he hoisted an ancient ax onto his shoulder. This ax had been passed down for uncountable generations, working tirelessly to bring honor and fame to the Wilkiker family name.
“You ready for this lawyer Jack?” asked Anise, straightening Jacks jacket.
“Course I’m ready sweetheart. No tracking for 35 years doesn’t mean I don’t got talent,” said Jack, pulling her in for a kiss.
Suddenly, an orange flare light bathed Anise’s face, signaling the start of the contest. Jack bolted into the pitch black forest, searching for the elusive Marblewood tree to be used as a center column for the contest winners new dream home. He was one of 67 total black men entered into the Generational Black Mans Lumberjack Dream Home Contest. Jack didn’t understand why it needed such a long, ridiculous name...  

Several hours later, Jack founda trail.
“Stunted growth indicates a nearby Marblewood...” muttered Jack as he approached a stunted Pinebark sappling. The trail was hot.
“Yo, citynigga, you lost?!?” taunted a voice in the distance.
“Ignore him. He’s not worth it,” Jack told himself. Jack hated Tony with every fiber of his being, and always had. Slipping between some trees, he followed the trail he’d picked up, feeling the Marblewood was close. Branches snapped from behind. Menacing snaps. Jack picked up his pace.
“ Little Jacko can’t handle a man taunt?” chortled Tony. He wanted that dream home too. Some men might even kill for it...
Rounding a tree, Jack saw it. A beautiful, 8 foot wide mature Marblewood tree, almost sixty feet tall! Jack snatched his radio to call in the find when Tony stepped into view.
“Ain’t nobody out here to monitor what happens to tiny baby Jacko though. Coulda been a bear or tiger er somethin,” threatened Tony. He had a small pistol pointed at Jacks chest. “Move ‘nother inch and I’ll kill you.” He cocked the gun.
“No you won’t Tony,” crackled a voice from the radio. Tony jumped and fired the pistol, narrowly missing Jack’s shoulder. On instinct, Jack tackled Tony to the ground and wrestled with the big man. Frantic for anything to knock him out, Jack grabbed a nearby log and smashed it into Tony’s head, turning the lights out.
“Jack?”
“I’m okay. Tagging the tree now!”
“Excellent. Sending an extraction team while you cut it down. Make sure Tony is tied up for custody.”
“Roger”
“Congraulations Jack. Seems you’ve won again!”

Like I said, a tent bag story. Now that I've thought about it, perhaps I should go back and edit sometime in the distant future (after my bad feelings have melted away...) and practice fitting a coherent story into 500 words or less.

Questions: Did this make sense? 
What do you think could be done to improve the story/writing?

Prompt I Followed: Really simple stuff here (NOT!!!)

PLEASE READ DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY :)

I'm going to write the start of a story below and I would like you, yes YOU! to finish it.  I'll set the stage, and give you the rough draft of a characters to work with, you provide the conflict and resolution and most importantly, the end of the story.

-Try to keep it under 500 words please :)

The Story: 

The crisp evening air beckoned to be inhaled.  Stars twinkled brightly on the black sea above his head.  He could hear the occasional faint hum of a  car passing on the highway miles north of him, but otherwise it was only the sounds of nocturnal nature that broke the deep silence of the night.

The thick hair on his arms stood on end and a tingle brushed down his spine.  His long wait was finally coming to an end, it was time. He licked his lips and a dark smile spread across his lips....

Take it from there folks!


In the next few days, I'll have something more substantial for you Gears. In the meantime, tata!

~ Storyteller

No comments:

Post a Comment